Food Formulation and Processing
Food Formulation and ProcessingCourse Status:
Hello and welcome to this training course on Food Formulation and Processing.
Food formulation is the development of food recipes for particular food products. Some food products use ingredients that results in higher consumption of sugar, sodium, fat, and additives. Such food product formulations can cause public health concerns and consumers must be made aware of this in product labelling.
Other food formulations use high levels of particular nutrients to produce functional food products that target the preventive treatment of specific health conditions e.g. intestinal health, joint health and heart health.
Food Processing looks at how science and technology are used to:
• Transform ingredient to edible product
• Remove potential contaminants
• Store and preserve food safely
• Improve the quality of food for the consumer
• Improve the efficiency of food production.
On completion of this training course, you will be able to:
• Understand the main functional properties of foods: organoleptic, kinaesthetic, hydration and stability
• Understand the different food additives and how EU legislation applies.
• Understand different food processing methods and applications and the effects of processing on food’s nutritional value
• Understand the production of cheese, yoghurt, butter, cream and other commercially relevant dairy products
• Understand the functional properties of meat and fish in value-added food products
• Understand the processing methods used in meat and fish.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for those who are new to working in the Food Sector and want to learn about food formulation and processing.
This course is also appropriate for anyone that is looking to work within the food sector and wants to learn more.
The course is divided into 5 lessons:
• Lesson 1: Functional Properties of Food
• Lesson 2: Food Additives
• Lesson 3: Food Storage and Processing
• Lesson 4: Dairy Processing
• Lesson 5: Meat and Fish Processing
How to navigate the course:
If this is your first course with People & Process Academy, be sure to look at “Studying with People & Process” before you begin. This short video shows you how to find your way around the lessons and modules.
Lessons are all presented in video format, and there’s a transcript you can follow as you watch. If you like, you can download the video transcript to revise later on. In this course, each new lesson builds on previous information, so it’s best to follow the lessons in order. Similarly, you should follow each module in sequence as you first go through the course. All registered users have unlimited access to video lessons and transcripts, and you can repeat each video as often as you like.
There’s a discussion forum attached to this course. You’ll find the discussion forum on the course homepage. In this forum you can chat to other students and leave questions and comments on the course.
If you have any difficulties navigating the course, see the support section for help.
On successful completion of this course all students will be awarded a People of Process Certificate of Completion. This certificate confirms you have completed all the video lessons for every module and fully met all the requirements of the course.
To achieve this award all the assessment quizzes for each lesson must be passed. The pass grade for each quiz is 80%.You can retake lesson quizzes as often as you like.
There’s a quiz at the end of each lesson to test your understanding of the material. To successfully complete this course, you must pass the quiz for each lesson. Once all the lessons have been completed, you can then download and print the People & Process completion certificate.
So let’s get started! In the next lesson entitled “Functional Properties of Food “, we will look at the different sensory properties and processing properties of food.